[This article deals with a rapidly developing situation. It was written by Norbert Gleicher, MD, on March 31, 2020 and published on April 1, 2020. For a list of all COVID-19 Bulletins, scroll to the bottom.]
ASRM Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force affirms all of previously stated recommendations
We are here reprinting what ASRM has describes as “Update #1” to their original March 17, 2020 statement that has received so much attention, meant for the time period of March 30, 2020 through April 13, 2020. (Italics added.)
At this time, the ASRM Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force affirms all of the stated recommendations of March 17, 2020 as timely and appropriate, including:
- Suspend initiation of new treatment cycles, including ovulation induction, intrauterine inseminations (IUIs), in vitro fertilization (IVF) including retrievals and frozen embryo transfers, as well as non-urgentgamete cryopreservation.
- Strongly consider cancellation of all embryo transfers whether fresh or frozen.
- Continue to care for patients who are currently “in-cycle” or who require urgent stimulation andcryopreservation.
- Suspend elective surgeries and non-urgent diagnostic procedures.
- Minimize in-person interactions and increase utilization of telehealth.
During this unprecedented public health emergency, the ASRM Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force (“the ASRM Task Force”) is committed to being responsive to our professional membership, their patients, and our broader communities. This update reflects the stated goal of the Task Force to reassess its recommendations at no more than two-week intervals considering the fluid and evolving situation.
This reaffirmation is especially important for two reasons: First, it reaffirms CHR’s interpretation of the original statement of March 17, 2020, that closure of treatment activities in IVF centers is recommended for routine practice but excludes urgent ovarian stimulations and urgent cryopreservation cycles. Secondly, this statement directly rebuts the open letter to the ASRM leadership by the Fertility Provider’s Alliance (FPA), a newly founded interest group (a “thinktank,” according to the organization’s press release) that front-up attacked the ASRM for the March 17 statement and demanded revisions in the statement.
The ASRM’s refusal, which CHR strongly supports, to submit to FPA’s demands, can now be expected to result in a countermove by the FPA, which may further exacerbate the increasingly obvious conflict within the IVF practice community. For those interested in understanding who stands behind this newly formed interest group and what the founders’ likely motivations are, the upcoming April issue of the CHR’s newsletter, the VOICE, may be rather revealing.
CHR’s COVID-19 Bulletins
- COVID-19 accelerating the changing practice of assisted reproduction (published on October 16, 2020)
- [Preprint by Norbert Gleicher, MD] COVID-10 pandemic through the eyes of a New York City fertility center (published on August 20, 2020)
- News you, likely, will not find in the media (Published on July 6, 2020)
- Notable reports in medical literature and the media on COVID-19 and immunity against it (Published on July 6, 2020)
- COVID-19 cases rapidly increase in South and Western U.S. states but that will help build herd immunity (Published on June 29, 2020)
- Are we witnessing a second wave of COVID-19 outbreak? (Published on June 22, 2020)
- WHO was wrong about asymptomatic patients being contagious & other COVID-19 fake news (Published on June 10, 2020)
- Updated COVID-19 precautions at CHR (Published on June 9, 2020)
- What we now know about COVID-19 and what it means for mitigation strategies (Published on May 22, 2020)
- COVID-19 response in retrospect, as well as going forward (Published on May 7, 2020)
- The essence of the COVID-19 pandemic (Published on May 7, 2020)
- Practical consequences of COVID-19 for CHR’s fertility patients (Published May 7, 2020)
- IVF after COVID-19: ASRM and SART release reopening guidelines for IVF centers (Published on 4/29/2020)
- One medical expert, missing from all COVID-19 task forces, who should be listened to (Published on 4/29/2020)
- Governments worldwide should have let herd immunity develop rather than cause one of the worst recessions on wild guesses of “experts” (Published 4/27/2020)
- Reciprocal collaboration among IVF centers for cycle monitoring may be on the wane (Published 4/22/2020)
- Is embryo freezing better than IVF during COVID-19 outbreak? (Published on 4/17/2020)
- When to restart fertility treatments after COVID-19 (Published on 4/17/2020)
- “Reopening” of fertility centers after COVID-19: How that may look like (Published on 4/17/2020)
- Some IVF centers may never reopen (Published on 4/17/2020)
- Skepticism warranted for “expert opinions” on COVID-19 (Published on 4/13/2020)
- Fertility Providers’ Alliance tries to reframe ASRM’s reaffirmation of COVID-19 guidelines as FPA victory (Published on 4/6/2020)
- States in the Northeast may see first signs of “flattening the curve” (Published on 4/6/2020)
- Reported death rate exaggerated by the media, shelter in place or herd immunity, first COVID-19 antibody test approved, and more (Published on 4/3/2020)
- What can I do to continue on my fertility journey? [VIDEO] (Filmed on 3/26/2020, published on 4/2/2020)
- “Controversy” over ASRM recommendation hints at investor interest’s power grab amid COVID-19 pandemic (Published on 4/2/2020)
- Pregnant women concerned over delivery and babies during COVID-19 pandemic (Published 4/1/2020)
- ASRM’s COVID-19 Task Force reaffirms previous recommendations (Published 4/1/2020)
- To stay open or not: IVF centers argue over ASRM guidelines on COVID-19 and fertility treatments (Published 3/27/2020)
- Concerning news on COVID-19’s effects on pregnancy and newborn (Published 3/27/2020)
- What’s urgent is urgent and what’s not urgent isn’t: Explaining ASRM recommendations on fertility treatments during COVID-19 pandemic (Published 3/26/2020)
- Patient autonomy and “do no harm” principles mean CHR continues to offer fertility diagnosis and treatments during COVID-19 crisis (Published 3/23/2020)
- ASRM and SART’s recommendations on fertility treatment during COVID-19 outbreak (Published 3/18/2020)
- CHR’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak: What we are doing to protect our patients, staff and community (Published 3/13/2020)
- Does COVID-19 have an effect on fertility? (Published 3/13/2020)
- What happens if I get quarantined during an IVF cycle? (Published 3/13/2020)
- What happens if CHR is closed for quarantine during my IVF cycle? (Published 3/13/2020)
- What should fertility patients do during the coronavirus outbreak? (Published 3/13/2020)
- Should international patients of IVF do anything differently during the outbreak? (Published 3/13/2020)