Finally, a surrogacy law in New York state
New York has been only one of three states (the other two being Louisiana and Michigan) without surrogacy law. As of February 15, 2021, the state will join the majority, facilitating legal arrangement of paid surrogacy in New York state and conducting clinical surrogacy in the state within an existing framework that defines the woman who hired the gestational carrier as the birth mother.
CHR is very pleased that this new law, at the same time, is very protective of surrogates because the “surrogacy--industry,” historically, has not always been the most trustworthy. The new law includes the gestational carrier’s “Bill of Rights,” claimed to represent the most advanced protection of surrogate rights in the nation. Here are some of the main points:
• Minimum age, 21 years
• Surrogate’s legal council must be paid by intended parents
• Health and life insurance for surrogate must be paid by intended parents for 1 year post-delivery
• Minimum compensation for surrogate, $35,000
• Legal protection for parents of children conceived by any form of ART
• Offers criteria for surrogacy contracts
• Requires single court visit while child is in utero; eliminates “second parent adoption”
CHR is working with several surrogacy agencies and will be pleased to serve as the IVF center for surrogacy cycles, whatever the indication may be. Please call us at 1 -212-994-4400 and make an appointment with one of our physicians if you are interested in utilizing surrogacy to build your family. CHR will gladly assist in selecting a suitable gestational carrier for you.
Norbert Gleicher, MD, leads CHR’s clinical and research efforts as Medical Director and Chief Scientist. A world-renowned specialist in reproductive endocrinology, Dr. Gleicher has published hundreds of peer-reviewed papers and lectured globally while keeping an active clinical career focused on ovarian aging, immunological issues and other difficult cases of infertility.
We have helped women bring over 17,800 babies into the world.Discover your treatment options
- Breaking News in ScienceLetter to President Biden and Secretary Designate of HHS, Xavier Becerra In a published letter (Santoro et al Reprod Sciences 2021; https:/doi.org/10.1007/s43032-021-00491-9), a
- More On COVID-19DOES THE BRITISH STRAIN B.1.1.7 INCREASE MORTALITY OVER D614G? A just published study by British investigators claims that not only infectivity of the
- Mild Ovarian StimulationTwo prominent voices in the fertility field known as longstanding supporters of mild ovarian stimulation were at it once again (Nargund and Fauser, Reprod Biomed Online 2020;41:569-571) when
- Brief Case Studies in Clinical InfertilityIs there a place for DHEA and CoQ10 in women undergoing “planned” egg-freezing? At CHR, women undergoing egg-freeing cycles undergo a very