As readers of these pages will be aware, the Foundation for Reproductive Medicine started sponsoring an annual conference on Translational Reproductive Biology and Reproductive Clinical Endocrinology every November in NYC, which CHR has had the honor of co-sponsoring. Last year’s conference was a smashing success, not only in attendance but also in the number of commercial sponsors and, most importantly, in the quality of conference faculty. Conference evaluations by attendees were unprecedented in their approval of this four-day event. This year, the Conference will take place November 16-19, 2017.
Because the Foundation for Reproductive Medicine is primarily a (not-for-profit) research foundation, and because it in its philosophy fully aligns with CHR’s opinion that close translational collaboration between clinical fertility centers and leading research laboratories is now essential if significant progress is to occur in clinical reproductive endocrinology and infertility, the Foundation after last year’s conference success, designated this annual conference as its funding priority for future years. This means a significant financial commitment to this project by the Foundation. Though this decision means less available funding for CHR’s GrandRounds in coming years, we philosophically fully agree with the Foundation’s decision, which, therefore, requires a radical restructuring of how, and where, CHR GrandRounds, starting in the new academic year, will be conducted. Here is what remains the same and what will change:
- CHR’s GrandRounds will continue as before: monthly, except during holiday seasons in the winter, and vacation breaks between academic years in the summer.
- GrandRounds will continue to be co-sponsored by the Foundation for Reproductive Medicine and CHR.
- Participation in GrandRounds will remain free of charge for individuals who become “Members” of the Foundation for an annual donation to the Foundation of at least $1,000.00. Donations to the Foundation are tax-deductible according to the law. Membership in the Foundation and attendance is also open to CHR patients and potential commercial sponsors.
- For non-Members, there will be, going forward, a $100.00 charge for participation in GrandRounds events, charged at reservation time, and non-refundable, unless reservations are cancelled at least 48 hours prior to the event. Because food and other values received at these events exceed the price of attendance, these charges, even though paid to the Foundation, will likely not be tax-deductible, unless considered a business expense. (Please do not consider this tax advice; we recommend that you consult your accountants.)
- Going forward, CHR will also sporadically announce In-House Seminars at CHR, which to date were only open to CHR staff. They will now also be open for free to Members of the Foundation for Reproductive Medicine, while there will be a $25.00 charge to non-Members.
- Total attendance at GrandRounds will be restricted to 65, while attendance at In-House Seminars will not exceed 30. Reservations will be accepted on a first come-first serve basis.
- In partnership, CHR and the Foundation for Reproductive Medicine, will continue to present the most interesting and path-breaking speakers in our field.
We here at CHR hope that friends and colleagues will continue supporting our CME activities under this new framework, and are looking forward to welcoming you to the new academic year in September.
This is a part of the June 2017 issue of the VOICE.